It is once again time to register for the annual Deutscher Sprach- und Schulverein (DSSV) Essay Contest! This contest is open to all Wisconsin students who take the AATG National German Exam at level 3 or higher. Below you will find the DSSV Contest Details and the on-line registration form.
TO REGISTER YOUR STUDENTS please complete the Online Contest Registration Form below and click SUBMIT. Contest materials and proctoring instructions will be sent to the email address on the form, unless you specifically request materials be sent via U.S. Mail.
Knowing how tight funds continue to be, the German Language and School Society (DSSV) will again help to offset the costs of the AATG test. The DSSV will pay up to $50 towards your students’ AATG TEST fees – provided that your students participate in BOTH the AATG test and DSSV Essay Contest. You will eligible to receive this payment by completing and submitting the registration form below.
If you have any other questions please submit them at the bottom of the registration form below or contact me via email at email@example.com.
Thank you for participating!
Marge Draheim, DSSV Contest Coordinator
Deutscher Sprach- und Schulverein
German Language and School Society of Wisconsin
2016 – 2017 DSSV Essay Contest
Contest Details and Guidelines
- Essay contest is open to students of all public and private high schools in the state of Wisconsin, who are presently enrolled in a German class.
- Students must be participating in the German language test sponsored by the AATG test at Level III or Level IV.
- The first place winner will receive a study trip to Germany, following the eligibility guidelines established by the AATG.
- Essay contestants may also win cash prizes ranging from $25 to $500.
- Teachers will be notified of their student winners after the DSSV committee receives the AATG test results and the essay evaluations.
- Students at each school are expected to complete the essay together as a class.
- Allow thirty minutes for completion of the essay.
- Essays must be a minimum of five (5) paragraphs.
- No dictionaries, textbooks or notebooks may be consulted and teachers may not assist students while the essay test is being administered.
- Students must write on lined paper with pen.
- Teachers should register their students online at www.dssvwi.org. Registration can also be mailed to Marge Draheim at the address below.
- There is no fee to participate in the DSSV essay contest.
- Note that there is a fee to participate in the AATG test. Please refer to the AATG website for more information. As noted above, the DSSV will provide up to $50 to help offset this AATG fee.
- Registration for the essay contest will close on December 1, 2016
Essay Contest Logistics
- The essay contest topic will be sent directly to the teachers after registration is completed.
- Teachers should not share the topic with the students or help them prepare for the topic.
- The test must be administered before January 30, 2017 and all essays must be received no later than February 1, 2017.
- Tests can be administered at the same time as the AATG test, or separately.
- Teachers are to submit completed essays to:
DSSV Essays 2016
c/o Dorothy Smaglick
15205 Fieldstone Drive
Brookfield, WI 53005
- Judging is done first by a committee of DSSV members.
- Final level of judging is done by a university German professor, who ranks the top thirty essays.
- Consideration is given to originality, grammar, vocabulary, and how well the topic is addressed.
- Selected students are then invited to interview.
- Prizes are awarded based on the combined score of the AATG test and the essay.
- Students must participate in an interview to be eligible to win a study trip to Germany.
CONTEST Registration Deadline: December 1, 2016
ESSAY Submission Deadline: February 1, 2017
Questions? Please Contact Marge Draheim at firstname.lastname@example.org